Conference Day Two: Wednesday, 21 June 2017
8:30 am - 9:00 am Coffee and Registration
9:00 am - 9:10 am Conference Opening – Remarks from the Conference Chairperson
9:10 am - 9:50 am CASE STUDY: CBA’s use of Blockchain to Automate the Whole Process of Transporting 88 Bales of Cotton from China to the USASophie Gilder - Head of Blockchain CBA
US$ 4 trillion is the approximate size of the Trade-finance industry. CommonWealth Bank has carried out an experiment by transporting 88 bales of cotton from Chinese port of Qingdao to Houston. Speaker from CAB will highlight about:
- Functioning and mechanism involved behind the whole experiment
- The key hurdles faced while deploying and during the experiment
- How smart contracts were used in the process
Sophie GilderHead of Blockchain
9:50 am - 10:30 am CASE STUDY: Using Blockchain to Solve an Age Old Problem in the Hotel Supply and Distribution BusinessGraham Anderson - Head Of Technology Webjet
The Hotel and Travel industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and one of the most competitive in the world. Getting an edge over your competitor is a key advantage in this industry and helps gain the market share. Webjet’s head of technology will speak about:
- What the solution is and how it is helping them
- Processes they went through to validate which technology solution is appropriate
- Their work on evolving set of technologies
- Key take-away from the whole process
Graham AndersonHead Of Technology
10:30 am - 11:00 am Speed Networking
11:00 am - 11:30 am Morning Tea
11:30 am - 12:10 pm CASE STUDY: How Sydney Stock Exchange used a Blockchain Registry to Automate and Eradicate the Clearing Processes
One of the key benefits of blockchain is speed during registry process. Some time consuming processes, such as water clearance and equity market, which both take 30 days and 3 days respectively to be cleared, can be reduced to less than 10 minutes due to blockchain registry. Lorretta Joseph from Sydney stock exchange will speak about the:
- Challenges faced around regulations, corporation desk and technology
- Experience with developing and implementing the first prototype exchange
- Key things learnt while carrying out the whole process and next steps regarding the project
12:10 pm - 12:50 pm CASE STUDY: Blockchain Beyond Finance: Permit Parking on the Blockchain - A Public Sector ExperimentDaniela Mazzone - Principal Lead: IT Capability & Partnerships| Technology Services City of Melbourne
Blockchain will enable peer to peer markets in surprising spaces, outside of the traditional financial industries. Working with City of Melbourne, Civic Ledger are enabling citizens to trade parking entitlements via Blockchain technology, and change the way we look at parking entitlements.
City of Melbourne
- Digitise things of value
- Challenging the traditional models; should prices be fixed?
- Reducing fraud and counterfeiting
- Social challenges with parking
- Is parking just the start?
Daniela MazzonePrincipal Lead: IT Capability & Partnerships| Technology Services
City of Melbourne
12:50 pm - 1:50 pm Lunch Break
1:50 pm - 2:30 pm Increase the Scale of the Blockchain Network to Unlock the Potential of Blockchain Based Applications
Blockchain strength highly depends on the size of the network. As the number of parties involved in the system will be limited, so will be the scope and the usability of the whole system. The speaker will speak about the:
- Mechanism behind what makes the network so important
- The advantages of a blockchain with the maximum number of parties involved
- Affect on security with the increase and decrease of the size of the network
2:30 pm - 3:10 pm PANEL DISCUSSION: Addressing Blockchain’s Key Security Concerns
The recent $64 million hack of the second most valuable currency after bitcoin, has caused many people to think twice about the security of the blockchain system. This session will include a panel discussion with blockchain experts and professionals developing and implementing blockchain in their workplace.
This session will help in understanding:
- Difference between the theory and practicalities surrounding security
- Experts view on the present and future state of security as compared to the professionals view
3:10 pm - 3:40 pm Afternoon Tea
3:40 pm - 4:20 pm A Critical View on Blockchain’s FutureSam Lee - CEO Blockchain Global
A lot of research, development and implementation are being carried out in the Blockchain space at the moment. Looking at the significant and rapid progress of blockchain during the past few years and with the huge investments being carried out, its progress looks to be highly positive. This session will include a panel discussion with the industry experts, government officials and blockchain experts. The session will aim to:
- Reflect on the future projects of blockchain
- Discuss about the direction in which the industry in moving
- Technological developments in the blockchain space
- New platforms being developed
4:20 pm - 5:00 pm Solutions Clinic
Solutions clinics are designed to give participants strategies and tools to deal with their most pressing challenges.
The room will split into tables where each table member will share their biggest challenge before collectively deciding which issue to investigate in more detail. The table will then elect a facilitator/note taker who will record the topic being explored and the ideas of the table.
After 40 minutes of discussion, the facilitator of each table will then report back to the rest of the audience their problem and potential solutions.
Finally, IQPC will compile the information collected into a document that will be shared with delegates post event.